Wednesday, February 25, 2015

Padlet Intro to Child Development 2 Class

Padlet

I was just introduced to Padlet and wasn't sure how I wanted to use it but knew I would like to try it out.
Padlet basically lets students send responses from their device (cell phone, tablet, computer, etc) straight to the screen where everyone can post ideas and thoughts about something.
It was super easy to set up and has some basic choices but also allows for pictures and things to be uploaded.
What they post can go straight to the screen or it can be first viewed by the teacher before being approved to go to the screen. 

How I Used Padlet - 

I split students into groups to read sections about Emotional/Social Development just as an intro to some discussion information about where children are in their emotional social development between the ages of 4 and 6. I asked them to bullet point some information about things that characterize emotional/social development of children between 4 and 6 after reading with their group. 

Here is a link to what they came up with. I did not filter it and got something about poop - I was able to delete that after a threatening glare in the direction I was sure it came from. 


Students seemed to like it for the most part and some commented that they thought it was pretty cool. In a class of 25 none of them said that they had used padlet before. SCORE ME! 
Obviously, this was not anything huge and only took maybe 10 minutes but I am excited to use it as something more soon. 
Students can post links, pictures, video, etc... with their comments - today we just did a very basic "see how it works out" activity. I think it could have a lot of uses! You can set it up like a stream, or random, or in a grid where it would almost look like Pinterest. 
Below are some random pictures of students learning to use padlet. Most used cell phones, I did have maybe one IPad and 1 Kindle or tablet user. 

Please let me know how you have used this or any ideas you have. Thanks for checking in on my blog! 








4 comments:

  1. Ah yes, there's always one student who seems to work "poop" into every task, what is about that?
    Anyway, this is super! What a great way to get students to contribute and collaborate, without the pressure of having to speak or walk up to the board to write or another action that leaves them vulnerable. Not to mention they get to use their phones, which of course they LOVE.
    I can see tons of uses for this! Brainstorming, jigsaws, responding with their opinions on a reading... even building a study guide for an upcoming quiz or test - every student could contribute a question they think will be on it.
    Thanks for sharing this!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Many possibilities! And, it is so easy to set up!

      Delete
    2. This comment has been removed by the author.

      Delete
  2. I love this idea. I may have to try it in one of my classes. I love your blog. I am glad you found time for it.

    ReplyDelete